Friday, 26 November 2010

Because it sums it up:

From here:

Sinead Halpin

sinead.jpg

From Sinead: "I remember growing up and anytime something did not go as I had planned I would go to my Mom, looking for an explanation or sympathy. Pretty much, like clockwork, her response was, "Come on Sinead, this will build character!" Later in the tough times she would joke "Come on Sinead, you have enough character, don't you want to become a librarian!" Not a chance, most of these "character building" experiences have been with a horse, about a horse, or in the quest of a horse.

As a rider by profession, I have experienced frustration and desperation in trying to survive financially in the horse sports, let alone succeed in competition. As a person I have made mistakes and learned lessons the hard way. As an athlete I have broken my body in more ways than I can count. I am so thankful for all of these experiences because they have given me the opportunity to learn, as one can only do through experience and fighting for something that you really want badly. I have had the best moments of my life so far with horses. I wake up every morning and get to share my life with animals that mirror who I am. From each tear cried, each lesson learned, and each victory achieved the picture gets clearer to me. I am a horse trainer by trade but they have taught me far more than I could ever teach them.

I am so thankful for my horses, and for the people and friends they have brought into my life. I am thankful that I have the opportunity to learn lessons from these animals that are more valuable than anything that can be bought, or any ribbon that can be won. Happy Thanksgiving and thanks EN for making me take a few minutes and appreciate how lucky I am!"


I think the same can be said of anyone with a driving passion for anything, whether it be horses, bikes, painting, writing, advocating for others, saving the environment. Some people never acknowledge or recognise their passion. I wonder how life must be for them.