Friday, 17 September 2010

Going fast....

My week of fasting (15-18hrs at a time) followed by 8hr windows of "normal" eating, followed by a day of "you can only eat off this list" is nearly over. I lost 1.5kg in the first three days and gained a flu-like cold within the first 24 hrs (thanks to a training session I threw in that wasn't fueled properly). It's been tough. By midweek I was thinking, what day is it today? As in  what am I allowed to eat (or not) today? ie When is my next test? Fortunately I managed to keep it together at work on test days, with some much appreciated understanding (ie letting me eat lunch in post lunch meetings!) from my workmates.

So I have had an enforced break from the bike, weights and training. I haven't wanted to think about it until today. Reading Jamie Scott's blog post (see below) made me realise I've been given a great opportunity to rethink my training plan leading up to track season  (2.5 mths away) and how to be efficient as possible, allowing my body maximum recovery between sessions. It's too easy when you think about it. I am mean, seriously. My focus is track, to go as fast as possible for 2 laps (even in a scratch race - always a sprint finish). I never need to ride longer than 7.5 km in a race. My races take less than 15 minutes. A criterium is my long road race. It's not rocket science, but it's easy to get distracted and loose the trees for the forest, and the forest for the trees.

2 comments:

Groover said...

I'm glad you made it through alright, and I'm glad you took time out from heavy training. Hope you get some more answers, too, so you can wind up to top speed again soon. :-)

Lawrence said...

Thanks Groover. The weekend was the worst bit, mainly due to the lead up in the week prior. But it's all done now, and in another 10 days I'll have some results/answers. :-D