Tuesday, 20 July 2010

More counting


Wow, it’s been over two weeks since I last blogged. To be honest, I haven’t wanted to blog , because I haven’t had that much to say, and what I have to say, was better delivered via twitter or facebook.

I could have blerked on about how crap my training has been, because my body just won’t behave, or how frustrated I am with having to read food labels, research diets, keep an eye on what goes into my mouth and what comes out the other end, including performance on the bike. But I think that all gets a bit tedious and mundane, for me at least, if not for you.

One thing I do want to talk about though, is keeping a food diary as a way to measure how much carbohydrate and protein is actually going into your body. I have kept diaries before, to monitor this, and more recently, to monitor the kinds of food I actually do eat over a few weeks. After yet another crap training session on Saturday (ok, I had a bad week last week), where I could barely hang on to the warm up (somewhat humiliating) I realised that perhaps that niggling half-thought I’d been having about protein levels may have some truth to it.

So I drafted myself up a diary in excel, to count carbs, protein, calories etc, with a spreadsheet of foods I commonly eat, with those details noted against a measured amount of whatever food it is. Even after a couple of days of monitoring, I realise that I am way behind in total amounts of carb and protein I need to train well, recover well and do it again. So here is something I can control, being the control-freak that I am, and take back at least a part of my response to training; from you gotta be kidding me, to get out of my way, you’re blocking my view ahead.

3 comments:

Groover said...

On the soy protein topic: Did you know that flax seeds also contain phytoestrogen? Lots of it! And guess what? My gluten-free and favourite muesli is full of those little shiny brown buggers.

So label reading is not the whole story. You also need to know what you are looking for and what makes you sick. :-(

I so know what you are going through! Thanks for your email. You cheered me up immensely and it's you who is inspiring. :-) Email to follow shortly.

Lawrence said...

Groover, whatever you do, don't start reading the Paleo take on legumes, seeds, grains etc. It'll make your gut rot ;-P hehehe

But you are right: label reading is not the whole story. As you say, you need to know what ingredients to keep an eye out for, for your own situation. The number of products I have taken off shelf, thinking "O yaay! This is a goer!" Only to read the label and see one ingredient that ruins the moment of joy lol. I wrote a little about labelling on the EatmyDragster blog.

Glad my email cheered you up! I can imagine how you are feeling, staring the weekend in the face. I've been feeling similar just for a group training session. A weekend tour would be 10x worse. But you'll do it! :-D

Crankster said...

Lawrence, have a bit of a poke around these guys to see if there is anything that might be of use to you.
http://www.30bananasaday.com/
Ciao
D