Monday, 22 March 2010

Junior National Track Championships

I spent most of last week as one of three team coaches for the Victorian Junior Track Team at the Australian Junior Track Champs. It was a huge five days of work, with long days at the track standing on your feet, fetching, talking, feeding, watering, monitoring, massaging, negotiating, watching,yelling, strategising, coaching, motivating, providing feedback, bike checking, schedule watching, timing .. you get the idea.

The team was fantastic, not only because they produced the goods on the day, winning enough medals to get Victoria well ahead of the rest, winning the Ray Godkin Shield, amongst others, but also just a great bunch of people to work with.

Some highlights:

  • The look on Hilton's face when the U17 boys won gold and a new Australian record in the team pursuit
  • The sound of those boys thundering around the track each lap, winding it up to the new record
  • All performances in the scratch races. I got choked up at times.
  • Seeing riders step up and meeting the challenge of riding at their very best under pressure. Plenty of new PBS all round
  • The learning. I learnt so much, I don't know where to start. One of the major things I learnt was I DO know what I am doing!
  • The venue. Nice to be nationalling at my home track!
  • The heat and humidity. Thanks Melbourne - not!
  • The trust the kids place in you to help them perform at their best.
  • Laurie putting up with me constantly checking and rechecking the communiques, so I got the event timing spot on!

The downside: I went into Junior Nationals with a slight cold after States, which got worse as the days went by, but I managed to keep it at bay. Just. Now I am back at work, I am falling in a heap of fatigue and virus. Great timing for my own nationals in four weeks time!

Photo stolen from Leanne Cole.

1 comment:

Buttsy said...

Fantastic work, PS we have two girls here in Wellington, a 15 and a 19 year old who are both goping really well and I would like to talk to you someday about what options are available to help these girls and I am interested in a Level 2 coaching course, I havent done Level One, but would like to discuss that too, can I get your mobile no? maybe send me an email on FB..Thanks..Great pic by the way!