Thursday, 24 September 2009

A little ride on the weekend....

I currently live with an Audaxer. Where I like to ride 500m fast, he likes to ride 500km fast. When he cooks, he cooks enough for a feed station on that 500km ride. Then he eats it, wondering why I am full after one huge plate (he is learning – I can’t eat that much in one go!). He is superskinny. My quads are bigger than his. In fact my quads are bigger than his waist, come to think of it. I beat him off the mark every time, every set of traffic lights. He beats me up long hills, and I cannot catch him, or stick with him, once he winds up on the flat.

Like me, he is involved, at some level, in the organisation of his sport. This weekend, he is organising a the Mallee Roots, er sorry, Routes ride, with distances of between 50 – 600km. It’s been a bit of an eye opener watching how the organisation has unfolded. Currently the lounge room is covered in maps, documents, cue sheets etc. Outside on the verandah are ride signs, plastic boxes full of ride/admin stuff (eg the very important brevet card), gas bottles etc. The phone keeps ringing with people who refuse to believe what they read, and want someone to confirm: yes, it’s compulsory to start with lights; yes, it’s compulsory to wear a reflective vest after dark. Despite what we non-Audaxers think, some Audaxers really don’t want to actually be a part of the fluro set, even when it really does matter, like, at night, in the dark, on unlit country roads.

Personally, I think organising a track event is much easier! At least people know the rules and are happy to follow them, and I have a commissaire to refer people to when there is a query! And my event is undercover! Who said trackies are dumb??

So, good luck for this weekend Mr Flowerpants. I hope the weather is not as bad as it’s meant to be (sorry for reminding you) and all ride safely, lights and all, and enjoy the experience. Me, I’ll be eating pizza, doing some speed work, and staying warm and dry 

2 comments:

NancyBoy said...

Pizza?!?!?!? I didn't see that on the palaeo diet plan...

Penny said...

Undercover racing or training is great ... until the infamous roof at DISC starts leaking - like it did at the Club Track Team Champs earlier in the year!

Hope your training for Worlds is going well :-)

Penny