Friday, 17 April 2009

My other body is a temple

This was my FB status from yesterday, and last night at racing I was asked which body I’d brought along: the one that is feeling trashed from Wednesday night in Marty’s Shed. No racing, thanks to no legs. No point in trashing rubbish, it just makes more mess!


Currently I am reviewing my training, what works, what doesn’t, what my temple likes, what my non-temple likes, how to marry those two up so both bodies function as they are meant to (ie racing machines!!). I know this is “common sense” but how often do we just do as our coaches prescribe without much thought to the pain and fatigue-induced diminishing performances we put out? So I am taking stock, and working on a plan. This will mean a radical new approach, like little chunks of high intensity, followed by very large chunks of other work to aid recovery on a continuous cycle. My biggest problem to date has been staying healthy enough to keep training “well” (whatever that is!!). My second biggest problem has been recovery, namely not enough, leading to problem #1.

So far, my biggest weaknesses are still my biggest weaknesses; stating the obvious really, but they haven’t improved at all in the last few years. Asking “why is that?” is part of the plan, as is providing a new answer. I need some full on work in that area between now and October. So that needs to be continuous, not icing on the cake. Plus continual work on strength and endurance, which are staples in the training diet. It’s gunna be fun balancing it all out, and experimenting a bit. Because time is short, monitoring is crucial, so we can promptly change stuff that isn’t working, or give other stuff more time to work.

So part of the plan is to have a heap of fun, trust myself, trust my legs, and play around with a few things to shake it up. I suspect I’ll be getting a lot of “feedback” (ie crap) from detractors, sceptics, naysayers who think they know better, are harder or tougher or older or more olympian than me. But frankly I am over not listening to myself, ignoring what I know and what works for me, and what I need to improve. I’ve got some very knowledgeable people around me who are giving me awesome guidance, support, mentoring. It’s a nice change, and I am feeling the benefits already.

My other body may be a temple but this one is an athlete.

1 comment:

Buttsy said...

You have to have recover it is a basic part of muscle growth - recovery is when your muscles grow...but you also have to hurt them and trash them a bit to "earn" the recovery and most of all you have to love it or else why would you do it at all......Keep it going..it is all about your personal goals revisitng your starting point and seeing how far you have come.....