Sunday, 19 April 2009

Melburn Roobaited


It’s been 7 days since I’ve ridden a freewheel bike, and the one time I did in the last 15 days, it was a very odd experience. Guess that means I’ve been totally fixed!


This weekend was a bit of a blast, with plenty of time chasing a motorbike, including playing tag and follow the leader. When I wasn’t on my track bike, I was on 4B, chasing letters painted on roads at the end of cobblestoned laneways.

Melburn Roobaix is a real treat, with a plentiful variation in cycling cultures from trendy, innerburb, urbane felt hatted single speeders, complete with plus fours, bells and baskets, to lycra clad road, mtb and track racers, SS, fixed, mtb, road, hybrid, old skool, very old skool, koolskool, moneycladsuperslicknewskool, beer utes, and every variety in between. I’m not sure what makes it so good, but I think it’s a unique mix and some clever beating to make a fantastic hummingbird cake of fun and riding. I certainly got see parts of Melbourne I’ve never seen before (where the hell is Travancore???) but will certainly visit again. Riding kilometres of cobble stoned laneways, from flat but bloody bumpy to fuck! that’s steep!! was also a real treat, particularly dodging huge tyre-width holes and other cyclists and trying to stay upright at the same time. My legs got a solid workout from the stop starting and rough climbing. The best sight of the day was the stack (literally) of bikes at the finish outside Lomond Pub: five deep and three high. Awesome!





video by vermontcreekbed,stolen from youtube

No comments: