Monday, 9 March 2009

Fix my troubled legs

Here is my secret training bike, on a secret training ride, in a secret training location. Why? That's a secret, but some things need fixing, so that's what we are doing. What those things are is a secret as well.

What I will say is that it's a bit of a mind warp riding a fixed wheel bike on the road when you have only ridden fixed on the track. I keep forgetting I have brakes (it's not a track bike!!!), I keep feeling my right hand fingers reach for the rear derailleur lever to tap it over (there's no shifter!!), I keep checking which cog I'm on the rear (there's only one!!). I am learning how to finesse the engine brakes, and the mechanical brakes, separately and in unison. I now know how slowly I really can pedal a bike. I also know now how quickly I can stop the bike when I really truly need to. I've also learnt where I soften my pedalling on a regular road bike, because I can't anymore. Forby won't let me; corners, the final metres before cresting a hill preparing the legs for the downhill smash, downhills when the smash is spent.

The sense of control is brilliant. Geared bikes now feel sloppy and soft. I keep waiting for the kickback when I stop pedalling the bianchi, and I don't rest for long because it feels a bit weird. And that's only after a couple of rides! I think I am becoming fixed in my addiction. Next I'll be getting a tattoo.

9 comments:

asfastasicanforaslongasican said...

Ha! how many times did I tell you that for a trackie you coasted too much?

Well twice that I can recall!

Lawrence said...

Hmm I can only recall once.hehe. But it's not about coasting ;-) I've never seen me coast on the track ;-P It's about other stuff that needs working on....

asfastasicanforaslongasican said...

ok, ok once then! the other must have been sotto voce.
as far as coasting on the track goes, we've all tried it once...and failed

Anonymous said...

it is really great to read how well you have taken to riding a fixed wheel on the road keep it up and have fun

naina said...

Hi Lawrence,

I am a bike lover too, though not as enthuastic like you right now but I love reading what people like you have to say.
I have an electric bike from r Martin Bikes and truly love riding it.

Great pictures too...I'll be back to read more.

Till then,
Happy Riding

Lawrence said...

And I've tried it twice on the road fixie without success!

Buttsy said...

I think riding a fixie is a brave thing, hate those bucking bikes....and yes the B was deliberate

Anonymous said...

they will all change there opinions when it works and you win a meddle (gold) at worlds (hp)

hippy said...

Sounds like you've found the road fixed "vibe" :)

Now you know why half of London's commuters are riding fixed these days. londonfgss.com is now 6000+ members in 2 years.

Want to buy a Soma Rush? T.I. Raleigh Team Track? :)