Monday, 9 June 2008

Big KMs, and some hills

A little over a year ago, I wrote a blog post about riding 100+km for the first time in a couple of months. Funny thing is, I am about to do the same now.

Saturday, Mr Legs, Mr Univac and I rugged up against the heavy, wet fog and ventured up the big hill (Mt Dandenong) for a couple of hours of hill riding. The plan included Inverness Rd/Sheffield Rd, but with the moisture in the air and on the bitumen, and a slipping back wheel when out of the saddle, I decided to leave it for a less wet and slippery day. My bike is so filthy at the moment; the mud on the cable guide and the wet air meant that I was stuck in the small chain ring going up the 1:20. I couldn’t get it into the big ring at all – it just wasn’t budging! So I put the chain on the smallest cog I could manage on the back and rode 39 x 13 (81”) instead of 53 x 17 (84”). It was a steady ride, no PBs until Kent Rd, where I was pumping out 20kph at the top near Maroondah Highway and going strong (ie I ran out of road).

Sunday was a leisurely 110km Beach Rd ride. A meat and potatoes ride. I ran into Liv and Apryl being Rev Girls offering lollies to fellow lycra-clad types (including me) at Mordialloc. I’d rather be on the bike keeping warm, but it was great to catch up with them, as I’ve not seen them for quite some time (a change from every Wednesday night at DISC!). Liv has made into her Uni course of choice, after a year of studying straight Science, and is off to Everest Base Camp in a few weeks. Very exciting!

In the final 30km of riding, I was beginning to wonder if it was really truly necessary for a 2km pursuiter to ride 110km, but then remembered Baw Baw. Boy have I got a long way to go…. And to compare Kent Rd to the day before, try 14 kph and desperately looking for the top of the climb after 106km.

No comments: