Wednesday, 14 May 2008

S&C a GoGo

The last few days have been quiet – spent yesterday sleeping off this virus that has been pestering me, and the sleeping seems to have done the trick. Back on the bike this morning without too many hassles.

Saturday, Mr Legs and I ventured over the other side of town to finally have a session with the EveryReady Bunny of strength and conditioning, Marty A GoGo. Marty is one of those gems, balanced out by another gem in his partner Linda. It’s never a dull moment with that pair, and they are very generous and vibrant people. We have been talking for too long about Marty A GoGo coaching our strength and conditioning and so on Saturday we did actually make it over to the A GoGo gym-shed for a 40 minute session of lifting, bending, some more lifting and some jumping around for me. Marty strung together some regular exercises for me, making compound activities that I hadn’t tried before, then stitching those together in a neat circuit that was an overall workout, minimising time spent whilst providing bang for the buck.

I’ve done a fair bit of gym work over the years, and have strength and conditioning training (an almost qualified coach), but am a novice to plyometrics (read the books yet to actually do any). Without prompting, Marty added some plyo work into my routine, which including jumping on and off a 20inch bench. It may not sound like much, but when you’re straddling it, and haven’t lifted yourself off the ground like that since kid-dom, then it can be a little intimidating. I kept thinking about what would happen if I missed the bench or tripped. Needless to say I didn’t, (fear of embarassment will do that!) and was able to do a number of reps without much effort. Seems I have more power potential than I realised.

As well as being Footscray's C Grade Crit Champ 2008, Marty A GoGo is an excellent coach, and watching him at work, playing around with exercises to see where we are at, reminded me of how I approach training horses and their riders, by feel based on what you are seeing in front of you, rather than following set routines. The man knows his stuff and I'm looking forward to seeing how this new element in my training, ie taking weights work to another dimension, pays off.

No comments: