Monday, 17 March 2008

Coach 0 Me 3

Today I am recovering from a fry-your-brain hot weekend, particularly yesterday’s efforts.

Saturday Madam Hour and I set off at a humanly respectable time, instead of a cyclist time, and as the heat was rising but not hitting peak melt-down temperatures. The aim was the 1 in 20, but with an out-clause for Mdm Hour if her sicky-ness got the better of her. Personally I had my doubts, and did offer an alternate ride if she was so inclined. Stubborn as she is, Mdm Hour insisted on the Big Hill loop.

I left Hour Woman pretty quickly once we hit the rising road, sliding it up onto the big chain ring, as Mdm Hour chose to moderate her effort according to HR. I felt ok until about 2 km from the top, when I began to get stomach cramps. I’ve never had stomach cramps whilst riding before, so it was a new experience. 500 or so metres later, my brain suddenly said “Get off the bike NOW!!” and I stopped, realising I was on the verge of throwing up. After managing to control the urge, and recovering from the experience, an old guy riding past asked me if my friend was down the road? When I replied yes, he said she asked him to tell me she was still climbing. I thanked him and was much relieved. (My reply was “Awesome!” when he told me) I had fully expected the climb to be too taxing on Mdm Hour’s depleted system, so was stoked to hear she was plugging away. One gritty woman. I immediately hopped back on the bike, changed to a smaller gear and rode the hill out. We met at the top, and cruised home, keeping the HR down for recovery for both of us.

When I got home, I loaded the PT file, expecting it to be worse than the last time I did that challenge (a month ago), but instead was surprised to find a 10% improvement: A slightly faster time with increased power and torque output for a slightly reduced HR and decrease in energy used. All good signs, despite the blow up near the top. Plus, I managed not to throw up. One of Coach’s ambitions is to work me so hard I throw up. I’ve come close 3 or so times now, but Coach has been ultimately unsuccessful. That’s 3 to me, 0 to Coach.

6 comments:

asfastasicanforaslongasican said...

Hey Tiger/Power woman...can you really count that one..after all you only didn't throw up because you stopped...or was it because there wasn't a carpet close by!!!

Lawrence said...

meow! The only reason I didn't throw up each other time was cos I stopped! But one usually does when the interval is complete... missed it by this much on Saturday..

hippy said...

I am very jealous that I have no vomit-inducing climbs nearby! :(

Lawrence said...

Coach is claiming this one as a victory, as I didn't finish the interval.. pffffft, how pedantic! Minor detail... so apparently its Me 2 Coach 1, according to him. What a sore loser! hehe

hippy said...

Bloody coaches! ;)

asfastasicanforaslongasican said...

just to re-visit this fallacious concept you have about vomit intervals..this comment has been shamelessly ripped from another blog ...."you know you are good when you can hold your wattage through the actual puke stage".

So you (and I) have lo-o-o-o-n-g way to go yet.....