Wednesday, 27 February 2008

Recovery Week

This week is recovery week. And, my mission is just that. I crashed and burned big time at the end of last week, scraping through Friday’s ergo session (good to know I was able to do the strength effort though!) and then falling in an exhausted heap Saturday and Sunday. It’s interesting to watch my attitude to the bike and racing change as fatigue sets in. Last week I was keen and excited, and have been for quite some time This week I really don’t want to know. I am really struggling physically and mentally but I also know that once I have recovered (I promised myself no more 4.30 am starts this week after this morning’s attempt) I’ll be hungry again. The Bendigo Madison Carnival is a little over a week away and I am looking forward to it. Nationals are 7 weeks away and my feelings towards it are like a project presentation for work: I am looking forward to putting together all the work I’ve done since Worlds, and giving an account of that. I’ve still got a way to go in terms of where I want to be, but if I am fresh then it should be a respectable account.

On another note, I’ve discovered some long lost horse-riding muscles, after a 10 minute ride Monday evening on a client’s horse. The old mare is tough and can be difficult to ride, but she looked after me (it’s been 18mths since I last sat on a horse) and gave me snippets of what she knows and is capable of. I expected to be somewhat rusty, but it felt like I’d not had any time out of the saddle, and it was a bit of a relief to show that the coach can walk the walk, as well as talk the talk. I also like to have a bit of a ride to see what a pupil is dealing with, so I can be more understanding of both horse and rider, and then more directed, when I instruct.

1 comment:

hippy said...

Yay for recovery!

I'm now sick and packing for Egypt. I only did 40k commute yesterday, skipped the extra 30k planned and I'm not riding at all today.

Flight is at 6am tomorrow, so 3am or earlier rise :( Might actually sleep on the plane if I can breathe..

Speak again on the 13th :)