Tuesday, 8 January 2008

Precious sleep

Sleep. It’s 9.30 am and all I want to do is sleep. Being back at work for 4 days is taking it’s toll. I need more sleep! During the 2 weeks off work, I was able to get up when my body wanted to get up, sleep in the afternoon if I wanted/needed, not stress about being totally organised for the next day’s, and the day after’s, work, training, food, domestics. That’s the difference between a full-time athlete and an amateur/part-timer – the ability to sleep when you like, as much as you need, and not worry about running everything to a very tightly configured schedule so that nothing is forgotten, with everything done so you can make it to work on time, properly dressed and fed every day.

It’s been a while since I felt like crawling under the desk to have a couple of hours sleep. Apart from last Friday: after 2 efforts on the ergo and with one to go, I suddenly felt a desperate need to lay my head down on the handlebars and sleep. When I told Coach he gave me a funny look, then grinned and waved his fingers at the ergo – get on with it!

1 comment:

hippy said...

That is sooo damn true!!!

With no work I can sleep in, I can then ride in DAYLIGHT when it's DRY and do more kays than I would just heading to work. Now to sort out that lottery win..