Monday, 3 December 2007

Wicked Witch of the West

I think I am the Wicked Witch of the West. I know that some people have thought this for many years, but last week, I proved it. I melted. As in melt down, not as in Brad Pitt/Keanu Reeves (am I showing my age??) melt. The heat and humidity conspired against me, leaving me physically incapable of completing my set training for the week. I hate that.

Saturday a little trio of Mr Legs, Madam Hour and myself did our usual 1:20 loop. By the time we got to Sassafras, I was melting. Literally. Bucket loads of womanly glow was pouring out of me. I was completely wrecked by the time we got home, so that all planned activities for the rest of the day were crossed out and replaced by sleeping and feeling like dog poo (which is the smelliest of the poos).

Sunday Mr Univac joined the trio and we opted for a “flat ride” down Maroondah, as I also had track training with Mr Lash aka Coach in the afternoon. I felt ok heading down the road towards the city, but by the time we turned around, the oven had been turned on and I began the Wicked Witch meltdown again, fading rapidly watching Mr Legs and Madam Hour race off into the distance over every rise and crest. How does it happen that a woman the same age as my mother, and an unfit barge arse (it’s ok, he doesn’t read my blog) drop me like that smelly dog poo up a hill?? Fortunately Mr Univac is a gentleman and rode with me.

Rather than heading back home down the highway, we took the bike path back instead. The Koonung trail stops at Mitcham Road, but our intrepid orienteer assured us she knew a way back to Ringwood that would have us staying off the highway. She neglected to say it would also entail some hill climbing, as in short, steep, nasty, and concern about where the hell we actually were ie there was some circularity in our route. But Madam Hour, despite being directionally challenged without a map, did manage to get us to some geographic point of certainty. I suspect it was a case of all roads lead to the highway. Mr Legs suggested we head back along Deep Creek Rd, which meant finding the new Eastlink path, via some cross country mtb route, courtesy of tourist guide Madam Hour. I ended up walking the steeper sections, as my brain and body fade wasn’t up to negotiating steep gravelled downhill switchbacks on the bianchi and skinny road tyres. We finally found the open bit of the new Eastlink path (which will be excellent when fully open and functional) and then hit Deep Creek Rd - a new, safer, route home that will be a regular return passage from the city, rather than straight up Maroondah.

After getting home, and an ineffective attempt at recovery, I phoned up Coach to decline track training for the afternoon. Thanks but no thanks. After laughing at me for being a softcock (they were Mr Legs words, Coach just laughed. Interestingly, he didn’t disagree….hmm ) Coach Lash did confess that he had planned some nastiness for the group. By 3pm I knew I had made the right decision, and felt very sorry for the juniors who were having their legs spun off behind the motorbike. Suffer in your nix kids.

Hopefully this weather will settle down, or I’ll acclimatise and will be able to cope with training surrounded by buckets to catch the sweat. I grew up in Queensland, and there is a reason I live in Victoria. I am seriously contemplating a move to Tasmania over summer.

5 comments:

hippy said...

Or London!

Mostly Cloudy
Drizzle
Morning Clouds
Drizzle
Afternoon Clouds
Showery
Afternoon Clouds
Light Rain
Morning Clouds
Numerous Showers
Mostly Cloudy
Light Rain
Mostly Cloudy
A Few Showers
Temp. (°C)
6° | 10°
7° | 14°
9° | 14°
8° | 14°
7° | 14°
5° | 14°
9° | 12°

Lawrence said...

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!! All that dampness sounds like trainer hell my friend. But the temps sound almost perfect. 4-5 degrees higher would be bliss. 32 degrees on Sunday, 23 today.. much better ;-)

hippy said...

Guess, they would be except I don't have a trainer. Hell, I barely train!
Use club mag trainers on Tuesdays and commute rain/hail/snow/shine.
I'd love to be back there now!

asfastasicanforaslongasican said...

C'mon..where's your spirit of adventure.I mean why else do you ask me along for a ride?? if not to explore roads you've never ridden before (and don't want to ride to again), to get gloriously "geographically embarrassed" and then find your way home again.. after all getting lost is part of the fun..and I have lots of fun.

Let's MTB then I can get you reeely lost.

Lawrence said...

MTB is different - you are MEANT to get lost - and even lose your bikes (ask Mr Legs about that one sometime).