It’s that time of year when the seething masses make their new year resolutions. I made mine in the 2 weeks after Worlds, based on what issues and weaknesses appeared this year. In no particular order :
· HTFU. Sure, but what does this mean? I used to have a mantra when I was duathloning: Stopping is not an option. I am working on that one again. I also used to have a bit of a masochistic streak, seeing how hard I could go and tolerate it ie push out my cracking point. This one is back – it’s a bit addictive and I have the taste for it again. It’s interesting to see how it also changes your mindset, and how you ride. Now I have my good luck band to remind me: HTFU, and all that it means (which is more than I have written here – it’s also about professionalism which is another all-encompassing gloss over word, and as much about attitude as doing)
· Self belief, which includes being selective with whom I listen to regarding my efforts in my training and racing. I have chosen a couple of reliable, knowledgeable people whom I trust. No one else’s opinion matters.
· Gym: Go. Do it. Regularly. Too simple.
· Yoga: I keep thinking about it, but it hasn’t helped. So now it’s time to actually do it.
· Breathing: keep practicing! More work required to keep the Ventolin in the bag.
· Time: developing an athlete takes time. I know this – I am a coach. I just have to apply it to myself.
· Keep it fun, keep it enjoyable.