Wednesday, 7 November 2007

Dawn O'clock Midweek Ride

I am 3 days back into training, and either someone is playing tricks on me or the hills have radically changed in my time off the bike – they HURT!!! Riding out this morning with HourofPowerWoman, my body turned into the anti-Little Red Engine up some of the lumps along the way. My glutes and hammies were crying out: “I don’t think I can, do you really want me to that?? I don’t think I can, don’t think I can”. Of course, they could and they did, despite the many protestations, which were overridden by my bitchbrain saying “shut up and drive you b@st@rds!!”

I don’t normally ride on the roads peri-peak hour, that hour or so before peak hour starts to hit capacity on the roads, but with two of us, flashing lights abounding, we faired well and the traffic was considerate and accommodating. We skipped off the main city-bound roads after a short stint, and headed back against the main flow, looping around some side paths for variety, and so HoPW could show me alternate bike path routes from home to Dandy Creek Path. A couple of weeks of these early morning jaunts, and my legs will find their form again and I can find some bigger hills to climb before work. It’s a satisfying feeling sitting at your work desk, 9am, knowing you’ve done your training for the day, and it’s consisted of real road kms, not just grinding it out on the trainer. Or maybe I am just enjoying being on the bike again? Best of all is the 9.15 am fresh coffee and blueberry muffin to keep me awake after a 4.30 am rise.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Well done on getting up at 4:30am! I had planned to get up at 5-5:30am to do a ride before work but going to bed at midnight put an end to that happening and I am now very jealous.

Lawrence said...

Am paying for it now - craving carbs, protein, sugar, caffiene to try and keep myself alert! But I wanna try and do this a few times a week now. I often get up at 5 - 5.30 for an hr on the trainer.

asfastasicanforaslongasican said...

NOW I know what that odd creaking noise was......

Lawrence said...

it was my bike actually (that's the truth!!!)